Published: Sat, February 18, 2017
Global Media | By Meredith Barber

Governor's Office, local groups respond to National Guard 'round up' memo

Governor's Office, local groups respond to National Guard 'round up' memo

A Texas National Guard soldier checks his radio while monitoring the U.S. -Mexico border on September 11, 2014 in Havana, Texas. There were two major border protection efforts that employed the Guard under presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama: operations Jump Start in 2006 and Phalanx in 2010.

The White House on Friday labeled as "false" a memo reportedly drafted by Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly that indicated the Trump administration was considering using up to 100,000 National Guard troops to round up undocumented immigrants.

For more than a century immigrants from Mexico, driven by poverty resulting from the USA domination of Mexico, and drawn by American farms and businesses seeking cheap labor, have been coming to the American Southwest, strengthening the Chicano population and nation.

Rep. Elizabeth Esty, D-Conn., said if the plan was enacted, it would be "a disgraceful abuse" of taxpayer dollars.

A national security expert who looked at the AP story said that the proposal seems to bear the hallmarks of an early-stage draft, perhaps from more junior staff. Esty said these immigrants "deserve better than the cruel treatment proposed in this memo".

The Associated Press says it reached out to the governors of Arizona, Utah, Nevada, California, Colorado, Oklahoma, Oregon and New Mexico, spokespeople saying they were unaware of the proposal.

If National Guard troops were sent to the Arizona-Sonora border, it would be the third deployment in the last 11 years.

After the report went public on Friday morning, White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer took to Twitter to dispel the report.

The White House and the Department of Homeland Security both denied the report.

The administration's response mimicked Trump's remark a day earlier that even if leaks coming out of the government are "real", the news is "fake".

According to the AP story, the White House and DHS ignored the news organization's requests for comment prior to publication.

Those troops would come from states that border Mexico, as well as adjoining states, according to the document, which also says governors in each of those states would decide if their National Guard would participate.

The AP said the memo was meant to serve as guidance to implement the wide-ranging executive order on immigration and border security that President Donald Trump signed on January 25.

The National Guard draft memo appears to have been written before the president's executive orders on border enforcement were issued, and is different from what actually came out. The memo lays out several possible policies to help implement President Donald Trump's executive order regarding border enforcement.

Like this: