Published: Mon, March 20, 2017
Economy | By Annette Adams

North Korea tests new 'high-thrust' rocket engine

North Korea tests new 'high-thrust' rocket engine

Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi pushed back against the tougher USA line on North Korea, reiterating his country's view that the only way to rein in its reclusive neighbor is through talks.

Leader Kim Jong Un said the successful test was "a new birth" of its rocket industry, the North's official media said yesterday.

Yun came right after Secretary of State Rex Tillerson visited South Korea last week as part of his first three-country Asian tour that also took him to Tokyo and Beijing. "We are exploring a new range of diplomatic, security, economic measures". "We hope all parties including our friends from the United States could size up the situation in a cool-headed and comprehensive fashion and arrive at a wise decision".

Tillerson told reporters in Seoul on March 17 that the USA wasn't interested in conducting direct talks with North Korea to halt its weapons program, saying instead that tighter sanctions enforcement and the possibility of a military strike were being considered as part of a continuing policy review by the Trump administration.

South Korea's military declined to comment.

The engine North Korea wants to use for the program is banned by the United Nations, however, the country claims its intentions are peaceful.

"The policy of strategic patience has ended", Tillerson said, according to The Korea Times.

His tone was more moderate when he spoke alongside Wang on Saturday, saying the countries had agreed to work together to confront North Korea.

Tensions between the US and North Korea have worsened in the wake of a series of successful missile launches by Pyongyang-including four rockets fired into the sea northwest of Japan on March 6-and massive U.S.

Speaking in South Korea on Friday, Tillerson said that military action against the secretive state was an 'option'.

Like this: