Published: Fri, April 21, 2017
Culture | By Julio Duncan

Suspect in Facebook video murder dead

Suspect in Facebook video murder dead

A suspect believed to have randomly killed a 74-year-old man in a live Facebook video killed himself Tuesday after a police chase in Pennsylvania, authorities said.

The camera spun around; when the picture came back into focus, Godwin was on the ground.

Then the police chief had addressed Stephens directly: "Steve, if you're out there listening, call someone - whether it's a friend or family member or pastor - give them a call; they're waiting for you to call them".

"I forgive him because we are all sinners", Robby Miller, Godwin's son, said in an interview with CNN. "I am sorry that all of this has happened".

Facebook Inc Chief Executive Mark Zuckerberg today pledged that his company would do all it could to prevent postings of incidents like Sunday's fatal shooting in Cleveland, which was visible on the social media site for two hours. The behavioral health agency where he worked said an extensive background check before he was hired turned up nothing worrisome.

Stephens said in a separate video on Facebook on Sunday that he had already killed a dozen others.

The case prompted Facebook to review how quickly and easily its users can report material that violates standards. They say he had no known connection to Godwin.

The FBI had put Stephens on its Most Wanted list, and authorities were offering up to $50,000 in rewards for information leading to his capture.

The chilling video was on Facebook for three hours before it was taken down. Steve really is a nice guy. he is generous with everyone he knows.

It's not clear what brought Stephens to Erie County. Police initially searched the area on Sunday.

"There is a lot of work to do here", he told a Facebook developers' conference.

Police were able to chase Stevens after the tip came in, eventually stopping his auto using a police maneuver, Officer William Teper Jr. told reporters at a televised news conference.

When officers confronted Stephens, he fled in his vehicle before later being stopped, the chief said, adding: "As the officers approached that vehicle, Steve Stephens took his own life".

Following a short pursuit of about a mile or so, police executed the pit maneuver - striking a auto on one of its fenders to make it spin - on Buffalo Road by an abandoned school and an officer saw Stephens pull out a pistol and shoot himself.

"All I can say is that I wish he had gone down in a hail of 100 bullets", Godwin's daughter, Brenda Haymon, told CNN.

Like this: