Published: Sat, May 20, 2017
Global Media | By Meredith Barber

Former US Rep. Anthony Weiner faces charges in sexting case

Former US Rep. Anthony Weiner faces charges in sexting case

Former U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner is crying in court as he apologizes to the 15-year-old girl with whom he exchanged sexually explicit texts.

He was released on bail Friday ahead of a sentencing hearing scheduled for September 8.

The investigation into Weiner ended up intruding on last year's presidential campaign. A much longer lasting punishment: Weiner will likely have to register as a sex offender, according to The New York Times, barring him from going within 300 feet of schools, public parks and any facility "devoted to the use, care or supervision of minors".

As part of the plea agreement, he also will have to forfeit his iPhone, surrender his passport, continue mental health treatment and is barred from having any contact with the girl.

An investigation was launched last September into reports that Weiner had been sending sexually explicit messages to a 15-year-old girl in North Carolina, The Times reported. The Daily Mail reported she said he sent her numerous photos, one of him in a pool and at least one bare-chested. Phone messages left Friday with the North Carolina girl's father were not immediately returned. He said the plea agreement reflected a resolution "on terms far less severe than could have been sought" because the circumstances lacked the kind of aggravating factors often present in similar cases.

Weiner will appear in court at 11 a.m., the USA attorney's office in Manhattan says.

It was during the investigation that the FBI seized Weiner's electronic devices, including a laptop computer on which agents found a trove of emails to his estranged wife, Huma Abedin, a top aide to Clinton.

In late October, days before the election, then FBI director James Comey stunned the country by announcing that his agency was reopening its closed investigation into Mrs Clinton's handling of State Department business on a private email server so it could analyse the newly discovered correspondence.

That inquiry was brief. Trump and other Republicans accused Clinton of endangering national security by exposing classified information to potential hacking.

Weiner was forced to resign from Congress, where he represented parts of New York City, in June 2011, not long after an explicit picture, sent from his Twitter account, became public. Weiner attempted to run for mayor of New York City in 2013; however, the effort was derailed after more explicit messages surfaced.

His failed mayoral bid was the subject of a documentary called Weiner.

Like this: