Published: Mon, June 19, 2017
Global Media | By Meredith Barber

London fire: Police say 58 people assumed dead in tower block

London fire: Police say 58 people assumed dead in tower block

Cundy said 16 bodies had so far been recovered from the tower and taken to a mortuary.

May, who has faced criticism of her response to the tragedy in which at least 30 people died, will meet victims, volunteers and community leaders, a Downing Street spokesman said.

The announcement comes as the government is accused of failing to improve fire safety in buildings, like Grenfell Tower, despite warnings.

He said: "The investigation is a police investigation". We investigate criminal matters.

"I'm just hoping that they are in hospital, they've made it through the stairway, got out".

Asked if they would be looking specifically into manslaughter charges, he said: "Yes". And obviously that will be a subject that the (public) inquiry will look at.

"There are two separate questions".

He said: "The building itself is in a very hazardous state".

Some of the anger stems from reports that Grenfell Tower had no central sprinkler system and was built with flammable materials that residents told the government needed to be fixed.

(AP Photo/Tim Ireland). People demonstrate demanding answers over the Grenfell Tower fire, in London, Friday June 16, 2017.

Residents who survived said they warned the building's manager about fire hazards for years but were ignored.

Two British ministers say the cladding used in a renovation of Grenfell Tower may have been banned under United Kingdom building regulations.

Heartbreaking images show Father's Day cards left among tributes to the victims of the Grenfell Tower disaster.

Police in London have said 58 people are now presumed dead following the blaze at the tower block.

Public anger is mounting as residents and neighbors demand answers for how the blaze early Wednesday spread so quickly and trapped so numerous tower's 600-odd residents. Public fury over the London high-rise fire is mounting as exhausted London firefighters continue their grim search Saturday for victims of the inferno that killed at least 30 people. British media have reported that contractors installed a cheaper, less flame-resistant type of exterior paneling on the 24-story tower in a renovation that was completed just previous year.

Ms Alia Al-Ghabbani, a receptionist who lives on the estate, was among many angered by a recent refurbishment in which new cladding was added to the exterior of the building and which media reports have said might have played a part in the rapid spread of the fire.

"We need answers and we need answers now", another man said through a megaphone. One opposition lawmaker urged the Conservative government and police to immediately seize all documents related to the tower renovation. What emerges in the coming weeks and months will be very hard for many people, including politicians and organisations, but we must get to the truth.

Metropolitan Police commander Stuart Cundy confirmed the death toll as he spoke near the scene of the devastating blaze in west London on Friday. Hundreds have been left homeless by the blaze, putting more pressure on officials in a city plagued by a chronic housing shortage.

No. 10 officials said support workers would ensure people could access the cash - including those who may not have a bank account.

Prime Minister Theresa May announced on Sunday (local time) that residents whose homes were destroyed would receive a £5,500 Government payout later this week and pledged £5 million through an emergency fund.

Like this: