Published: Sat, July 15, 2017
Sport | By Ellis Neal

Rio de Janeiro Court Drops One Charge against Lochte, Two Remain

Rio de Janeiro Court Drops One Charge against Lochte, Two Remain

2016 was a VERY busy year for your brain, but if you quickly flip back through your internal WTF mental catalog, you might recall that odd incident where USA gold medalist Ryan Lochte allegedly lied about being mugged while attending the Rio Olympics last August.

They had stopped to use the gas station's restroom, USA Today said.

According to USA Today, the court concluded that Lochte, who eventually admitted he "over-exaggerated" the story and apologised for his "immature behaviour", did not break Brazilian law.

After Lochte and his attorney "appealed" the original charges, an appeals court found him not-guilty and threw away the case, which included "false communication of a crime". Police said the swimmers had lied and no crime had been committed against them.

This was likely a severe blow to Brazil's reputation for being a safe place for tourists, especially after all the concerns and swirling chatter about hosting the 2016 Olympics elsewhere due to the rising crime-rates in Rio De Janeiro.

Rio police alleged the athletes had vandalized the restroom - breaking a mirror and destroying a poster outside of the restroom. Ostrow said the prosecution has 15 days to appeal again.

Lochte's 10-month suspension from the USA national swim team over the incident ended July 1. His suspension ended July 1.

In an Instagram post last August Lochte apologized for his behavior that evening. The three-judge panel, in a 2-1 ruling, noted that Rio police, not Lochte, had initiated the investigation and that the story he first told NBC did not meet the standard of a false report.

Lochte, 32, is the father of a one-month-old boy with fiance Kayla Rae Reid.

The United States Olympic Committee suspended Lochte for 10 months in September and ordered him to perform 20 hours of community service.

Like this: