Published: Wed, August 09, 2017
Medicine | By Megan Pierce

Wire from dental braces worn 10 years ago removed from woman's s

Wire from dental braces worn 10 years ago removed from woman's s

The case was published by Shepherd in the BMJ Case Reports medical journal with advice to consider a swallowed object in cases of sudden onset stomach pain and to do CT scans more often to rule out ingested objects.

The woman, who is in her 30s, went to her local hospital in Australia complaining about cramping and serious abdominal pain. Doctors thought that the pain was caused by her gallbladder, and released her from the hospital when the pain subsided.

An Australian woman had an orthodontic wire removed from her small intestine 10 years after she took off her braces. A C-T scan revealed something had punctured several places in her intestine. They also discovered that her small intestine was experiencing volvulus, a condition in which the small intestine can twist itself.

According to reports, a decade earlier, the woman used to wear braces and somehow she swallowed one of the wires from the braces. The woman had no recollection of ever swallowing or missing a part of her braces.

"I think it was probably just sitting there in her stomach the whole time, and then when the small bowel was punctured, that's when the pain started", Talia Shepherd, M.D., told CNN.

She pointed out that the case was a rare occurrence.

Thankfully, the doctors were able to perform an emergency surgery and remove the dental wire.

The wire did not cause any long-term damage. "There might be a higher chance if you're sedated and undergo a dental procedure".

Gastroenterologist Dr. Pat Raymond said that it was unusual that the patient didn't remember swallowing the wire.

Like this: