Published: Sun, August 13, 2017
Global Media | By Meredith Barber

Missing Elderly Man Found Dead in Elevator Nearly a Month Later

Missing Elderly Man Found Dead in Elevator Nearly a Month Later

The decomposing body of an elderly man was pulled from an elevator August 2, almost a month after he got stuck there, according to The Denver Post. Leading up to the gruesome discovery, residents complained of a foul stench. Family had reported he was missing July 5 and that he suffered from dementia. The Denver senior citizen is believed to have died sometime between the morning of July sixth through August second.

When police checked, two elevator calls from the same elevator auto where Komisarchik was found were electronically logged at 9:09 a.m. and 9:17 a.m. on July 6, the morning after he disappeared.

Records show that the pensioner pushed the emergency help button twice during an 8-minute span on July 6 - but got no response, The Denver Post reported.

Investigators were trying to determine why the emergency button did not work.

The fire department did not receive any emergency calls from that particular elevator auto during the period of time Komisarchik was in it.

The city's elevator code mandates that elevator operators monitor emergency notifications at all times. A phone or intercom system labeled "Help" is also mandatory within elevators.

Elevator fix workers finally discovered his body after multiple residents of the Woodstream Village apartments reported a bad smell coming from the parking-garage, according to the Daily Mail.

The cause of Komisarchik's death has not yet been determined, as officials said it's hard to determine when a body is badly decomposed.

Fire officials reveal they did not receive any emergency calls from that elevator, but MEI Total Elevator Solutions, which operates the unit shares that they did receive a call.

Greystar Management Services is investigating, the company told CNN in a statement. The company is reportedly cooperating with local law enforcement officials and their investigation into Komisarchik's death. It remains unclear as to how the 82-year-old died.

She told the station that her father "couldn't take long walks".

"He could've gotten disoriented at times", she said.

Apartment complex staffers checked two elevators, but not the one containing Komisarchik.

Denver police detectives are still attempting to determine how the 82-year-old man got inside the inoperable elevator.

Like this: