Published: Sun, August 13, 2017
Global Media | By Meredith Barber

Tropical Depression No. 8 Expected To Become Tropical Storm

Tropical Depression No. 8 Expected To Become Tropical Storm

Forecasters give the disturbance a 40 percent chance of developing into a tropical system during the next couple of days and a 60 percent chance of formation by the middle of next week.

A tropical depression formed Sunday in the Atlantic Ocean and is expected to become a tropical storm later in the day.

The U.S. based National Hurricane Center said, "Maximum sustained winds are near 35 miles per hour [55 km/h] with higher gusts".

The depression had winds of 35 miles per hour. A tropical storm will pass by the coast of North Carolina early this week, but the rain and wind will stay well offshore.

The hurricane center said gradual strengthening is expected, and the depression should become Tropical Storm Gert later today.

The storm is located east of the Bahamas.

A turn toward the north is forecast to occur Sunday night, and to the north-northeast on Monday. It only has a 20 percent chance of tropical development within the next five days, but there are favorable conditions that could help it strengthen in the next few days.

The Atlantic hurricane season runs through November 30.

Like this: